Monday, November 7, 2011

In My Place Condemned He Stood

For the past couple weeks I've been meditating on and marveling at the beautiful biblical truth of substitutionary atonement.

As the song goes: In my place condemned He stood!"


To look at it personally just leaves me humbled and in joy! In light looking at the depth of my sin and depravity, and what I deserve. Then to see how Jesus known as the spotless lamb (1 Pet 1:19) hanging on the cross bearing my sins (2 Cor 5:21 & 1 Pet 2:24), taking the punishment that was due me, taking the wrath I deserved! Isaiah 53, the most well known prophecy in the whole of Scripture hit home on Christ's subsitutionary death.

But he was wounded for our transgressions:
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that
brought us peace,
and with his stripes we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned- every one- to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all. (vs. 5-6)


You can see how I made it where you can see how Jesus took what we deserved!
And here's how I see it:

Jesus Christ
The perfect & spotless lamb
Bore my sins on that cross
He took the cup
My hell
My punishment
The wrath
That was reserved for me
He died in my place
The Righteous for the unrighteous
The Holy for the unholy
The Just for the unjust
The Innocent for the guilty
The beloved Son of God for the Child of wrath
To show love towards the one who hatred-filled rebel
To have mercy and forgive
A wretch & sinner!
It leads me to shout, sing, and proclaim
"Oh what LOVE!"

I can spend all day just telling you the beauty and riches of the doctrine of substitutionary atonement. But I just hope and pray that what I just shared will cause you to be humbled, and rejoice singing, "In MY place condemned HE stood! Hallelujah! What a Savior!"

grace & peace
Joshua




No comments: