Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I've Hidden Your Word in My Heart

My dear friends and beloved brothers & sisters,

As of late I've been focusing on memorization, scripture memorization to be exact; and I must say too, that I've come to enjoy it oh so much. Yet...why? Why spend time memorizing scripture? Well I'll give you my aim for memorizing scripture.
If I were just to memorize a couple verses or 2 chapter, and be done with it then why bother wasting the time just doing that? I would more than likely have selfish motive if I were to just shoot for that, and become puffed up with pride. Listen it would be just plain foolish to just memorize scripture just to boast about how you cite 1 Corinthian 13 or the whole book of Ephesians by heart, all out of selfish gain. So I say this to assure you that the aim for memorizing scripture is won't one of self, but all for the glory of God, and the exaltation of Christ! So that we won't boast in ourselves, but in Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior. Oh that we grow more in Love with Christ, longing for more of Him. To savor and treasure Jesus above everything else. Let me put it in my own words:

My aim for memorizing scripture is to not only grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18), but to also work out my own salvation with fear and trembling (Philppians 2:12b) and to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, (Colossians 1:10a).

So in order, I read it, memorize it, meditate on it, and then live it out. For we are called to be doers of the word, and not hearers only(James 1:22).
I encourage you to do the same, with the aim of bringing glory to God, to exalt Christ, and grow more in love with Him! I'm working on memorizing 2 Corinthians 4 & 5; 2 amazing chapters, so if you'd like you can join me in memorizing them. Let me know!

No comments: